Sake bomb is one of the most popular ways of drinking sake. This drinking ritual is actually quite entertaining, with college students carrying out this tradition in sports bars and in Japanese restaurants for years.
To enjoy it, you will have to follow some steps and this article prepares you to fully take advantage of the sake bomb experience. In this article, we’ve prepared some steps for you to fully take advantage of the sake bomb experience.
Sake bomb is an American beer cocktail and a drinking ritual
Although it sounds as Japanese as it seems, it did not originate from Japan. It was thought to have come from American soldiers during World War II when they started drinking sake with beer to get rid of bad sake. Nowadays, people drink it as a rite of passage to adulthood or simply just to have a blast and enjoy the good company.
5 things you need to make Sake Bomb
To make a sake bomb, you will need the following:</>
- A pair of chopsticks
- 1 shot glass
- 1 pint glass
- Sake (warm or chilled, you’ll have to try which one you like better)
4 steps to set the bomb
- Pour beer about a height of a shot glass into the pint glass
- Pour sake into the shot glass
- On top of the pint glass, place 2 chopsticks parallel and spread in a mild “V”. Make sure that the distance between the sticks is narrow enough to hold the shot glass.
- Place the shot glass on top of the chopsticks at the center over the pint glass with beer.
This drink is served straight up, with no ice.
Image Credit: http://www.sakesocial.com
4 steps to drink Sake Bomb
1. Start getting everyone excited by shouting the sake bomb chant. Below are some examples
- You: “When I say Sake, you say, ‘Bomb!’ Sake!”
You: “Sake! Sake! Sake!”
Others: “Bomb! Bomb! Bomb!”
- “Ichi, Ni, San, Sake” (counting in Japanese)
- “Sake! sake! sake!”
2. Bang both hands or fists on either side of the glass. This should be firm enough to dislodge the shot glass and allow it to fall into the beer.
Image Credit: http://www.lamag.com/
3. Watch the sake-filled shot glass descend into the beer.
Image Credit: http://www.fecalface.com/
Finish by shouting “Sake bomb!” or “Kanpai” (Kanpai is “Cheers” in Japanese). Chug down the beer-sake cocktail. Don’t bother removing the shot glass.
Note: Another option is to simply drop the sake-filled shot glass into the pint glass. Drink immediately.
Tips to enjoy Sake Bomb
To ensure a fun sake bombing experience, keep the following in mind:
- Be with the right people
Sake bombing is only as fun as the people you’re with. Although it works best with more people, enthusiasm can often make up for the number.
- Do it right and in style
Be creative and just as zealous in chanting with the bunch you’re with to make an entertaining, exciting, and anticipating atmosphere.
- Use light beer
Don’t underestimate the impact of drinking two types of alcoholic beverages together. It’s best to start with a light beer especially if you are an occasional drinker.
- Choose a cheap sake
Remember, the sake bomb was created to get rid of bad sake. With good quality sake becoming more readily available, dumping it into beer will cost you the experience of savouring (and enjoying) one of the best alcoholic beverages in the world.
Sake bomb is certainly a good way to enjoy sake with good company. Follow the steps above and we doubt that your sake bomb experience will (ever) be forgettable.